I am a 19 year old 2nd year Media and Communications Undergraduate student, specialising within the music industry. I have a genuine passion for the music industry, and work best under pressure, which I feel is a useful quality to have in this industry. I will be using this blog mainly as a platform to showcase my academic writing, as well as occasional thoughts and reviews of music-based media.
- 2015 will be my 4th year working for Ticketline as a box office assistant and as ticket scanner maintenance, and my 2nd working as a box office manager at major music festivals such as Bestival, giving me valuable insight into the internal logistics and planning of a large scale music festival, and improving my skills in public interaction, management, planning and teamwork.
- I have also been working at Event City during Christmas and occasional weekends as a general assistant, cloakroom attendant and recently their social media for four years. This work includes events such as Christmas company parties, Winter Wonderland theme parks, the Ideal Home Show, the National Pokémon Championships and Amir Khan’s wedding. I have also recently written press releases for the company, regarding specifically the 2015 Ideal Home Show among others. I also have set up and oversee the venue’s Instagram account. Again, this improved my public interaction skills and gave me a view into the logistics of event management and setup. I have also learnt about PR, social media and advertising through this work experience.
- I completed 2 weeks work experience at the North West Media Archives in Manchester, editing audio tapes and photographing and documenting glass slides, whilst also observing film preservation, and I will be completing a further two weeks at this organisation in a different position in January. Seeing this side of the industry, particularly the various footage used by the BBC and ITV, gave me a new respect for the history of the media.
- I am a full-time writer for NUBI Magazine (http://www.nubimagazine.com/). I write mainly about recent developments within the music industry, as well as music reviews.
- I am a contributing writer to HumbuckerUK (http://humbuckeruk.com/). I write music reviews for this website.
- University Projects: Throughout my time at university, I have been required to set up music-based companies on a temporary basis with other students. Through this, I have worked within a record label (Mixolydian Records) and a PR company (Atlas PR). More information regarding this is available upon request.
- Other various experience I have includes a week’s experience in a special needs school and as a paid classroom assistant for my synagogue. I also spend time with a friend with Asperger’s syndrome in a professional capacity. These both provided valuable experience in maintaining a position of responsibility by having people in my care.
Birmingham City University, Birmingham (In progress, 2013-2016)
Currently studying at Birmingham City University, where I am a second year student on the BA(Hons) Media and Communications course, with a specialist pathway of Music Industries.
King David High School/6th Form, Manchester
- A in Media Studies
- B in English Language
- B in History
- C in Graphic Design at AS level
- A* in English Language
- 8 As including Maths, English Literature, History, Sciences and Art
- B in Geography
- Music: I am an avid music fan, listening to music from all genres. I have been playing bass guitar and learning music theory for 3 years.
- Travel: I love travelling and seeing the world; I feel for an industry as wide-spanning as the music industry, an awareness of industry outside the UK is an important quality to have. I have traveled around Europe, as well as to Australia and Israel several times.
- Events: Within the last few years, I have developed an interest in working in events; particularly the organisation and overseeing of events. This had developed from my summer work as well as university modules that required me to put on an event.
- Live Music: My academic interest has developed and now revolves around live music, particularly the promotional side of the industry.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/alexorr95bcu
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=306326513&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile
- These are available upon request via Email.